Friday, August 17, 2007

Weird Bird Friday

Can't seem to get away from Australian weird birds . . . this time Australian mosaic birds, from Kim Grant Mosaics.


"Liberace"



"La Famiglia"

I looked for some mosaic birds because, once upon a time, I used to make mosaics myself. I did a different style of mosaic however. Kim's work is done in the more classic style using tesserae (expensive little Italian tiles), while I did what is sometimes referred to as "crazy mosaic," using broken bits and pieces of whatever. Crazy mosaic has its roots in Victorian England, where women used to make "memory pots," gluing various bits of broken pottery and other memorabilia from their lives onto a pot. I don't have any weird birds, but here's a weird fish, made from broken Talavera from Puebla, Mexico.



No comments: