Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Eve at the Radio!

Jack Benny: "Pencil Sharpener for Jack" (18 December 1949). Note Mel Blanc as the store clerk--"Mule Train!"; interesting, in light of the Walmart trampling last month. Nothing new under your Son . . .

By the way, even the first time I hung out with the Drunkawife's fambly for X-mas, her father gave me a present. Usually, as I subsequently found out, he gives everyone a hundred bucks. But he didn't know me from any other rent boy the D-A-W had consorted with, so just in case I was (yet another) drug addict or alcoholic or something (I was), he didn't want to give me money. But he knew I was an editor. And what does every editor, no matter how dissolute, need?

A stapler! And that's what I got. And not no fancy one, neither. Your basic $3.95 plastic Swingline. I tried to pawn it.

The Great Gildersleeve: "Christmas Eve Program" (24 December 1944). Heart, as they say, warming.

Fibber McGee and Molly: "Searching for a Christmas Tree" (21 December 1943).

Winston Churchill: "White House Christmas" (24 December 1941). Very short, and the first few seconds are in bad sound, but good stuff.

BBC (what in God's name happened to them?): "Christmas with the 8th Army" (19 December 1942).

And, of course, Vic and Sade: "Christmas Present Money" (December 1941).

No comments: