Monday, May 28, 2007

Holiday post

Rockies are playing a day game at home this Memorial Day. I just watched from the front yard as military jets of some variety did a flyover of Coors Field. One of the perks of living in the innerish city is having a (very) back-row seat to so many public events--shootings, parades, car wrecks, the Denver Grand Prix, crazy neighbors--it's a gay whirl, folks.

I'll try to post some good ol' patriotic radio shows in between doing nothing more strenuous than setting up the grill. I blame the U.S. war machine.

Update: Speaking of war machines, here are three shows from World War II that use material shortages for comedy.

First, Jack Benny. The sound's a little spotty, but there's tons of good World War II stuff in this show, from Williams Field near Phoenix, one of the scores of shows Jack did from military bases around the country: "Jack's Maxwell Goes to the Scrap Drive" (10-18-42). Highlight: Listen for Phil Harris's reference to the Japanese as "lice." A different world.

Next, Fibber McGee. Since I've already played "Scrap Drive" from this show (4-7-42), let's try "Gas Rationing" (12-1-42). Fibber complains about getting only four gallons a week. Again, lots of war humor.

And finally, Vic and Sade. Yes, it's "Scrap Drive" (4-6-42).

Update II: I didn't know Memorial Day was an occasion for gifts, but we got one: At Daily Kos, Cindy Sheehan quits the "peace" movement: "Good Riddance, Attention Whore":
People of the world look on us Americans as jokes because we allow our political leaders so much murderous latitude and if we don’t find alternatives to this corrupt "two" party system our Representative Republic will die and be replaced with what we are rapidly descending into with nary a check or balance: a fascist corporate wasteland.
Deep breath.

I have also reached the conclusion that if I am doing what I am doing because I am an "attention whore" [somebody called her that on this Kos thread in which she announced she was leaving the Democratic party--ed.] then I really need to be committed [heh--ed.]. I have sacrificed a 29 year marriage and have traveled for extended periods of time away from Casey’s brother and sisters and my health has suffered and my hospital bills from last summer (when I almost died) are in collection because I have used all my energy trying to stop this country from slaughtering innocent human beings. I have been called every despicable name that small minds can think of and have had my life threatened many times. . . .

Another breath, please.

I have also tried to work within a peace movement that often puts personal egos above peace and human life. This group won’t work with that group; he won’t attend an event if she is going to be there; and why does Cindy Sheehan get all the attention anyway? It is hard to work for peace when the very movement that is named after it has so many divisions. . . .

This is my resignation letter as the "face" of the American anti-war movement [she calls herself "the face" twice--ed.]. This is not my "Checkers" moment [sic], because I will never give up trying to help people in the world who are harmed by the empire of the good old US of A [but Nixon never gave up trying to help people harmed by the empire of the good old US of A either!--ed.], but I am finished working in, or outside of this system. This system forcefully resists being helped and eats up the people who try to help it. I am getting out before it totally consumes me or anymore people that I love and the rest of my resources.

Good-bye America [apparently Vacaville, California, now lies outside the United States--ed.]...you are not the country that I love and I finally realized no matter how much I sacrifice, I can’t make you be that country unless you want it.

What a self-pitying, egotistical cretin. If she really went away (yeah, right), she'd be doing the left a huge favor.

(via LGF)

No comments: