Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Anecdotal

Et lunch today at Tom's Diner on Colfax and Pearl. Old-timers will remember it as the Denver Diner, late-night home of prostitutes, trannies, morphodites, goths, punks, hippies and other assorted riff and raff.

Anyway, I was sitting in a booth a couple down from the cash register, and in the less than 45 minutes I was there, four (count 'em) guys came in and asked the waitress if there was any work. Nope.

Couldn't find December figures for Denver unemployment, but in November it was 6.9 percent (nationally 10 percent), while for Colorado it went from 6.9 in November to 7.5 last month.

Much better than the nation as a whole, of course, but after seeing that, I don't know that I trust the figures.

Update: Sorry for the nonsensical penultimate sentence, which I've fixed. Also, commenter Noel Sheperdson points out that the diner was called the White Spot back in the day, not the Denver Diner. Christ, I'm incompetent. Love, Barack.

No comments: