Friday, May 20, 2011

Tenants, again

So I have this tenant, a woman with three kids. She's nice enough, and so are the kids, but when she moved in she told me she had a husband she was separated from who is a diagnosed schizophrenic.

Fine, fine. He's gone, right? Yep.

Well, a few weeks ago, and unbeknownst to me, he moved in. Generally speaking when something like this happens I look the other way, at least for a while, and then, if the person stays, we redo the lease to add him or her and, of course, raise the rent. This is what I told the woman we'd do. The guy might be a schizo, but he didn't seem to be causing any problems, so big deal.

Not so sure that's going to happen after today. While I was staring blankly out my office window this morning (one of my many talents) I noticed the guy coming up the sidewalk. As I watched he turned and waved cheerily behind him and yelled, "Hi!" Then he walked a few more steps and waved cheerily ahead and again yelled "Hi!"

Now, I can see a couple of blocks both ways on this street, and naturally I looked to see who he was waving at.

There was nobody. Not behind him, not in front of him.

I don't want to make too much of this. For all I know he was just practicing his walk through the well of the House prior to giving his first State of the Union speech. Hell, I do that all the time, except in my case I'm waving to the reporters during my perp walk.

But it made me a little nervous.

No comments: