Friday, July 25, 2008

Quote of the Day!

You knew ex-New York Times reporter Chris Hedges was an hysterical dimbulb, but it's way worse than that. From the introduction to his 2001 book, War Is A Force That Gives Us Meaning:
When I finally did leave [El Salvador during the civil war--he didn't have that good a time] my last act was, in a frenzy of rage and anguish, to leap over the KLM counter in the airport in Costa Rica because of a perceived slight by a hapless airline clerk. I beat him to the floor as his bewildered colleagues locked themselves in the room behind the counter. Blood streamed down his face and mine. I refused to wipe the dried stains off my cheeks on the flight to Madrid, and I carry a scar on my face from where he thrust his pen into my cheek. War's sickness had become mine.
Yeah, that was the problem. Note also that Hedges was apparently neither arrested nor kept from boarding his flight. The power of the New York Times.

Update: Make that, "the once-powerful New York Times."

No comments: