Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Out of the huts of history's shame

Just poked fun at Maya Angelou the other day for her Hallmark Card writing and acute case of Obama Derangement Syndrome (unlike BDS, people suffering from ODS are derangedly in love with the object of their derangement), but she really is an awful writer. And (Denver's own) Harry Smith, who interviewed her today, is beyond parody:
SMITH: Of your many great poems, the poem that I have been thinking about, since I knew that I was going to talk to you today was ‘I Rise.’ Could you, would you give us some of it this morning?
Could you? Would you? Well, what could Maya say to that?
ANGELOU: It begins [jumped on it, didn't she?], ‘You may write me down in history with your bitter, twisted lies, you may trod me in the very dirt but still, like dust, I’ll rise. Out of the huts of history’s shame I rise up from a past rooted in pain I rise. I’m a black ocean, leaping and wide, welling and swelling I bear in the tide. Leaving behind nights of terror and fear I rise into daybreak miraculously clear I rise. Bringing the hopes that my ancestors gave, I am the hope and the dream of the slave.’ And so, Harry Smith, we all rise.
Harry Smith rose so high his brain wasn't getting enough oxygen:
SMITH: And I rise.

ANGELOU: Yes, we do.

SMITH: I rise.

ANGELOU: Yes, we do.

SMITH: And I rise. Dr. Maya Angelou, thank you very much for being with us this morning.

ANGELOU: Mr. Harry Smith, thank you very much for having me.
(via Ms. Michelle Malkin, who also has a hilarious video parody of Angelou giving a taste of her Obama inauguration poem from David Alan Grier.)

No comments: